Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Creative Writing: Letter to Jonas


Author’s note: This creative writing piece is a letter from Asher to Jonas from the book The Giver by Lois Lowery. In this piece I am focusing on character development.

Dear Jonas,

Lately I've noticed you have been acting weird. Like a few weeks ago you told me to stop playing a game because it wasn’t right and that it references something scary. I don't have any idea why you said this but still, ever since you were chosen to be the Receiver you’ve been acting up. You even told me to look at a tree and then you put your hand on my back and said to look really hard but there was nothing there but the tree. I thought you were crazy.
Then a few weeks later, you vanished all together! What happened was you went home and then the next day you were gone and there was a note on your bed or at least that’s what your family unit said, but other than that no one knew where you went. I heard a few search planes fly nearby so I wonder if they were looking for you. They probably weren’t though because they would have found you by now. I remember when you were normal and you weren’t so weird around everyone. It is like a dream. It’s there but it doesn’t seem to be real anymore.
            I wish I had the real Jonas back. The one I grew up with… the one I participated in activities with… my friend. If you ever come back I’ll never forget it but until that happens I’ll still be here in the community, waiting.

Sincerely,
      Asher

2 comments:

  1. I think that that is totally how Asher would have thought about Jonas' weird behavior. great job

    ReplyDelete